Monday, December 13, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

* * * * * * * * * * *
Tradition. This is a tradition I have had for many, many, many years. I took over making all of the pies for my mom when I was a teenager. Then after I got married, I still carried on this tradition. The night before Thanksgiving each year, I make A LOT of pumpkin pies and usually only one cherry pie. For the last few years, Aaron Jr has now become my pie making buddy in Grandma's kitchen. This is our tradition. Thanks to my mom for buying so many of the ingredients for the pies. :)

Here we are with the HUGE bowl of pumpkin pie batter. Mmm...

Aaron Jr helping me to fill the pie crusts. Mark and Suzy stopped by while we were in the middle of this and Evelyn helped fill a few as well. Then Aaron and Evelyn took a break to watch a show together.

This year, we went to my friend, Lisa's house the week before Thanksgiving. She was having a pie making party. So, I brought all the stuff to make four fruit pies and we all went to town making pies. Aaron played with all the kids that were there while us four moms made pies in the kitchen... while talking and laughing together. It was so much fun. Then I froze my four fruit pies and took them out the night before Thanksgiving to thaw and bake. Aren't they beautiful? These are the blackberry and cherry pies. Thanks Lisa and gals.

From Beginning to End.

Here we are... Aaron and Me with our finished products... 12 pumpkin pies, 2 apple pies, 1 blackberry pie, and 1 cherry pie. Mmm...

I believe this is the only photo I took of anyone ON the actual day of Thanksgiving. Aaron Jr enjoying his yummy dinner. We went to see Grandpa and Grandma Sue in the morning of Thanksgiving for a little bit. Sue helped me make some stuffing. I love her recipe, so I wanted to make some this year. Thank you Sue. It was splendid. Then we went to my family's Thanksgiving feast. We ate, talked, laughed, played some basketball as a family, played some others games, talked, laughed, and ate some more... it was a good day.


Thanksgiving will forever be a bitter sweet time of the year for me. Thanksgiving, the days leading up to Thanksgiving, and the days following Thanksgiving... Thanksgiving was the final posting I did before Aaron passed away. Aaron passing away that next week... wow, what a tough week it will be for me each year. We sure miss you, Aaron. Those are the bitter parts of Thanksgiving...

The sweet parts of Thanksgiving are being with family and also having such wonderful memories to sustain us... for now. And the gratitude I feel in my heart as we take that day (or month) to remember the blessings we have and the blessings we are given each day of our lives.

We are blessed...

* * *

2 comments:

Kristi said...

that is a lot of pies. I made an oreo and key lime pie, non traditional pies. Your pies were pretty. Way to be the pie lady.

April said...

I remember seeing that huge bowl of pie-filling in pictures last year... where do you even purchase such a gigantic bowl?! Those pies sure look delicious!