Thursday, December 6, 2007

We Call Him Blessed...

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Aaron Sverre Harkness



"This is a great man" Aaron Sverre Harkness, 30, our dearly loved husband, father, son, brother, and friend, passed away Nov. 29, 2007 at his parent's home in Bountiful, Utah while in his sleep.Aaron was born March 29, 1977 in Bountiful, Utah to Stephen Harold Harkness and Elida Susen Jensen. He married his love, Leslie Kay Higginson, on August 21, 2002 in the Salt Lake Temple. Aaron is the love of Leslie's life and thankfully, he is the love of her eternity. Aaron was one-of-a-kind, a great man. His greatest redeeming characteristic in life was his generous, loving heart the size of Texas. This vast love for others was infectious, and people were naturally drawn to him. He spent his entire life serving others, often unnoticed and at his own expense. Aaron served an honorable mission for the LDS Church in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He loved the Brazilian people and was able to serve in many capacities as a missionary. There's no doubt that his great love for the people touched countless lives. Aaron was an exceptional husband and father. He was amazingly strong, but gentle. A giant both in stature and heart. He was also a passionate outdoorsman. He delighted in spending time outdoors with his family, friends, his dog Ode, and his horse Sheila. Somehow, Aaron always shot the biggest buck and caught the biggest fish. Aaron was a cowboy at heart and he was guiding his son in those same footsteps. They loved spending time together. Aaron spent the majority of his working life self-employed as a carpenter, making unique and beautiful furniture. He had so many talents, so much knowledge to offer. He always tried to take advantage of every teaching moment. He was also employed as a counselor at Discovery Ranch in Springville, Utah. He was instrumental in giving comfort and guidance to troubled youth. There are many aspects of Aaron's life that parallel that of his Savior's life. Christ was his ideal. Although he spent only 30 short years here on this earth, he lived his life to the fullest. Aaron touched the lives of everyone who came into contact with his generous spirit. We are all better people for knowing him. We love you Aaron! Survived by his loving wife Leslie; son, Aaron Sverre Harkness Jr; parents, Steve and Sue Harkness; sisters, Sadie Joy Muhlestein (Nick), and April Starr Whiting (Dave); and brother, Steve Harold Harkness II (Christa). Funeral Services will be held Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 11 a.m. at the Bountiful 34th ward located at 540 N. 1200 E. Viewings will be held in his honor Monday, December 3, 2007 from 6-8 p.m. at Russon Brothers Mortuary located at 295 N. Main St in Bountiful, Utah, and from 9:45 a.m. -10:45 a.m. at the church prior to the service. Interment-Salt Lake City Cemetery. A college fund is being set up for Aaron Jr.
Online guest book at: www.russonmortuary.com

Published in the Salt Lake Tribune on 12/2/2007.

25 comments:

Karey said...

So, so sorry, Leslie, for your great loss. We are praying for you as you face the difficult times ahead and are grateful for our Heavenly Father's wonderful plan, that makes it possible for you to be together forever. Be strong for little Aaron, and when you don't feel strong, rely on the Lord to help you. And please let us help you, too. We love all three of you.

Anonymous said...

You are such a strength to us and we love you. Aaron was a great friend and an amazing person. I know that you will be okay in time, with the help of your family and friends, but mostly with the love of our Father. Christ suffered all so he could understand your pain and grief. He knows you and Aaron Jr. and he will never leave you. He also gave you loved ones to help you through this difficult time. I am here for you when you need someone. We all love you!

Lisa said...

As your family, it is almost more than we can bear to see you go through this unbelievable trial. I have told you before though that you are a strong, amazing person. Heavenly Father loves you. Trust Him and do as your blessings have told you-immerse yourself in the scriptures. Therein you will find the answers to the questions you have. John & I ache at the loss of Aaron. And we ache for you & Aaron Jr., but we are here when you need anything at all. We would do anything for you. I love you, sis.

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

Leslie, my heart aches for you, and you and Aaron Jr. are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I know Heavenly Father loves you, and you have so much love around you. You are an amazing woman, and I am always impressed by your strength in everything. I know you will get through this, and you will do it in a way that will amaze us all. I love you! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you! Love, Mindy

April said...

I miss him so much. I love you, Les.
-Apes

Kristi said...

We miss Aaron, and ache inside when we think of your, Aaron Jr., and the Harkness's huge loss. We love him and are glad that he was apart of our family.

Shauna Leavitt said...

I love you Leslie. I was just reading your T-book entry that you wrote to me. Your testimony is so beautiful and I looked up the scriptures that you wrote down and I got emotional. (Alma 36:3, John 16:33, 2 Timothy 2:3) Just like you, I know that God sends comfort and I pray that you can have comfort at this time. I love you and I am thinking and praying for you and your little boy.

K and K and kids said...

Leslie...I can't tell you enough how sorry I am for your loss. I cannot imagine your grief, but I know that our Heavenly can and does. He loves you and will ease your pain in time. I am praying for you and Little Aaron. Take care of yourself and let yourself be taken care of. I love you, Les. Karrin

Anonymous said...

We love you Leslie!! And Aaron Jr.!!

Justin Barber said...

I miss Aaron so much. He was simply the best, and without trying he inspired others to be better. I know that he had that effect personally in my life. Every time Joann and I left your home, all I wanted to do was go ride my horse or try to build something. In other words, I wanted to be more like Aaron. I'm so grateful for our friendship, and for the time we could spend together. I just wish that I hadn't worried about gas so much and had come down much more often. I can't wait to go camping with you guys some day, and sit around a camp fire telling Aaron Jr. stories about how cool his dad is. It will have to be a long trip, because when it comes to Aaron there are countless stories to be told. We love you guys.

lisa midge said...

Hark (Aaron) was a college friend of mine. He was a dear soul that was loved by many. He was an example to all that knew him. I call myself lcuky to have such an example in my life. Leslie, you and Aaron Jr are in my prayers and my heart.

Anonymous said...

Les,

My eyes are wet. My heart aches as I think of your broken heart. My mouth does not speak much , but my ears are always open for you, Les. Please keep talking as you grieve. How I love you my friend! I love you so very much. And I am so sorry.

Love,
Amy

Vicki said...

Leslie, know that I am thinking about you and praying for you every day. I know you will heal with time because you are strong and you have a wonderful family who loves you and cares about you (including extended family). Know that Heavenly Father loves you, know that I love you, and if there's anything I can do for you, please let me know!

Love, your cousin Vicki

Brenda said...

Leslie, you are in my prayers. Here's a quote I really liked from Amy Grant's book, Mosaic:
“In our lives the darkest times, the days that are bleak and black, add depth to every other experience. Like the dark bits of color in a mosaic, they add the contrast and shadows that give beauty to the whole, but they are just a small part of the big picture.”

Devksi said...

My husband went to school with your husband, he did not know him very well but we heard about your loss. I want you to know my prayers are with you and your little boy. I pray that God will bless your family with comfort and strength. You seem like a strong woman and mother, you blog shows how strong your testimony is. That is what will get you through this. Take care of yourself. (I hope you don't mind that I posted this)

jensenfamily said...

Thinking about you guys. Hope we'll get to see you at Christmas. Erin

Teresa Higginson said...

Leslie, It has taken me a long to time write something because words cannot even begin to describe how I feel...just know that we love you, Aaron, and Aaron Jr. and pray everyday for you to have peace and comfort...

Scott / Lori said...

Leslie,
We love you all. My heart is aching for you and Aaron Jr. We pray for you all the time. We will all miss Aaron for so many different reasons. So many things remind us of him. We were sitting in the lobby of a restaurant the other day and Scott and I were saying the benches in the waiting area looked just like Aaron could have built them. We are here for whatever you need. We love you all so much. Lori

Mindy said...

Leslie, I just wanted to tell you that although I never got to know Aaron, I always felt like he and my husband Brandon would get along. Brandon loves building things with wood, he grew up on a farm and longs to have a horse now, as he did as a young boy. He's a cowboy at heart, and loves the outdoors. I wish they could have even met, and got to know each other. I was just thinking that I don't think I ever told you my thoughts on our husband's similarities. I'm sure Aaron was a great man!

Love you!

Andrea said...

Leslie,
I left a comment on your blog this morning. As I kept reading I read your husband's obituary...and the world suddenly became much smaller. Shockingly I realized that we are pratically neighbors. I live in Centerville about a block out of Bountiful. I have driven past that mortuary several times...but I will never drive past it again without thinking of you. I would love to meet you; to grieve with you, to be a friend. I just feel compelled to do something, seeing as we live so close. You can e-mail me at andrea.judson@gmail.com or comment on my blog: andreajdansie@blogspot.com. By the way, I am in process of starting my own photography business! Looks like we have something in common.

Lara B said...

Hi Leslie, you don't know me but I just came across your blog and I had to let you know that through your writings I can tell what an amazing person you are. You have inspired me to be a better person and especially a better spouse. Thank you for that. I pray that you and Aaron Jr. (who is adorable) will continue to find peace and comfort from our Savior. Take care and may The Lord bless you. Lara
BTW you are an AMAZING photographer. Way to go!

Leslie said...

thank you, lara b.
i needed these words tonight. i am having a difficult night.

Our Ohana said...

I know this was posted forever ago and I know that you don't even know me but, what a beautiful tribute to your sweet husband. As I read back over your posts the few weeks after your husband died I can really see your strength!! It has helped me get through these past few weeks that have been SO SO difficult!! Thank you!

Southern Queen of the Crazies said...

Saw your comment on "Tale of Two Coins." I am going to catch up in the coming days. I am sorry for your loss.