Friday, July 3, 2015

President Boyd K. Packer


President Boyd K. Packer, of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles, passed away today. This makes me very sad. I remember when I was a teenager watching many times a video that was put together after a talk he gave in General Conference, it was called 'Spiritual Crocodiles'. It was an inspiring video and I loved the truth he spoke in it. (If you haven't seen this video, you should look it up on LDS.org). President Packer had a very recognizable raspy voice that I will miss hearing in General Conference, along with his inspired counsel as well.
~ A memory I want to share is about a conversation I had with Aaron on the way home from church last summer. Aaron had a printed copy of the talk by President Packer called 'Spiritual Crocodiles' that he had received in Primary that day. When I saw it, I told Aaron that President Packer is the Senior Apostle and that if President Monson passes away, then President Packer would become the next Prophet. Aaron then asked who would take his place as an Apostle? I told him that they would have to call someone to be an Apostle (through revelation from the Lord). Aaron was very thoughtful for a few moments, then he stumbled over his words a bit and said that he might... ...if they needed someone... ... he would be willing... ... to volunteer. I could tell he was not taking this lightly in that sweet brain of his and he asked if he could be an Apostle AND a wood carpenter (which is what he wants to be when he grows up). He then asked how long they are an Apostle? I told him they are an Apostle for the rest of their lives. He then asked if you get to see your family if you are an Apostle. I told him yes. ~ I thought it was so sweet that he was willing to take on the task if they needed him to... if they needed a volunteer. His questions were so sincere. So sweet.
President Packer will be missed.

No comments: