Monday, January 7, 2008

December 1, 2006

* * * * * * * * * *


I had wanted to put a photo of Aaron Jr's first birthday in that last posting, but forgot. Besides the actual birth, it was the only birthday Aaron was here for. So, I wanted to post this photo from last year. As you can see, Aaron Jr got down and dirty. The cake fell to the floor and that is when it was all over. Aaron Jr even got Daddy's face dirty... always wanted to be like Daddy.
Last year on Aaron Jr's first birthday, we wanted to celebrate with just our little family. So, we had cake in the morning, then we headed up Spanish Fork Canyon in the afternoon to go and cut down Christmas trees. It was really snowy and cold, so I had to stay in the shallower snow with Aaron Jr while Aaron went in deeper to find and cut down some great Christmas trees. Before Aaron Jr was born, I would help Aaron with the choosing of the tree because I could go where he went, but this day, I stayed with Aaron Jr while Aaron picked and cut the trees. Then, once he was back with each one, I would put Aaron Jr in the truck and I would help Aaron carry the trees to the truck. This was a tradition we had planned to have throughout our lives. We thought it would be fun for our kids to go each year... pick and cut down our Christmas tree. We had fun while it lasted.

I loved that time spent with Aaron each year. I love and miss you Aaron.

* * *

8 comments:

Karey said...

That's a great-looking cake. Funny memory. It looks like Aaron Jr. enjoyed it (probably more than if it had all been intact.) Love you, Leslie.

Liz said...

I know you have told me how you and Aaron met, but I could not remeber. If it is not to hard for you I would love to hear that story. Only though if it is not to hard for you.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
I am Suzanne's sister, Alyson. She forwarded your blog to my email. I have read it, cried, and been changed because of it. I pray that you will, with time, heal. I am so so sorry for your loss! I cannot begin to comprehend what you are experiencing. I have wanted to write you and tell you I had the priviledge to attend your Aaron's funeral services. I left that funeral with a changed outlook on life. Although I didn't know him personally I felt like I knew him after attending the funeral services. He was a wonderful, Christ-like person! All of the stories and memories were amazing to hear. I have been inspired to be a better person, a better mother, and a better wife because of you and your husband. Thank you for your examples. Although I can't know what you are going through, I know that our Heavenly Father loves you individually and he hears your prayers. He knows your pain and heartache, just like you said. He wants you to be happy again and it will take time. I have dear twin friends of mine that I grew up with since elementary school. When we were 12 and in 7th grade, their mother passed away due to a brain tumor. Throughout their lives they have had easier and harder times. But I promise you from watching them, it does get easier, little by little. Sadly, some of their siblings have fallen away from the gospel. I believe it is because they could not ever fully get through all of the grieving stages and they blame Heavenly Father. I am telling you this, hoping it will help in some small way. Maybe I am saying too much, you don't even know me. But I am trying to follow what I feel the Spirit has been prompting me to do ever since I went to Aaron's funeral. You are loved by so many and somehow, some way you will heal. Thank you for being such a wonderful example of strength, love, and one of Christ's disciples. I will keep praying for you and your little Aaron Jr.. Love, Alyson

Mindy said...

I love the picture! Thanks for sharing.

Kristi said...

Wow, he destroyed that thing. He seems pretty proud of himself.

K and K and kids said...

Very sweet picture. Aaron Jr. is so blessed to have such a faithful, courageous mom. He has grown up so much in the past year! Thinking of you. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

What a fun first birthday Aaron Jr. had. I love that you went out with just your little family that day. It is something you can always cherish and tell Aaron Jr. about. I remember going with you guys when we lived in Orem. It was definately the greatest christmas tree hunt we had. Aaron was so good at finding the perfect trees for you, us and his mom. We kept that tree in our apartment until March when we moved. Justin LOVED that tree! We love you Leslie!

Lisa said...

yellow cake, chocolate frosting. one of our favorites.