Thursday, February 23, 2012

Miracle of Protection

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

A blog reader of mine recently asked me for my email address so that she could share with me some of her experiences. She went on to tell me some of her trials and some of her triumphs / miracles. Her email brought me to tears and I really enjoyed reading it. Her faith and strength was inspiring and I am grateful that she shared with me what she shared. Thank you, my new friend.

Our emails back and forth have gotten me thinking more and more about the miracles that have taken place in my life... big miracles and every day miracles. I know that I am guilty of sometimes seeing miracles as 'luck' or coincidences, but I try not to do that... I try to see these blessings as daily miracles from our loving Father in Heaven... because that is what they are.

So, I decided that I want to begin writing about these daily miracles more often. I already have a few that I want to share, but I wanted to begin with a miracle that happened last week. I want to write this one to warn parents about a danger that may be in your home. This experience is not one where Aaron was protected completely from getting hurt, but it is an experience where he could have been hurt so much worse... so, I know he was protected from being hurt worse.... and I call that a miracle.

I don't think I have mentioned this yet on here, but I am training right now for a 1/2 marathon. Yes, it is a crazy endeavor... not one that I have ever cared to accomplish, and yet here I am. :)

So, I was doing my run on the treadmill last Thursday in the afternoon while Aaron Jr was watching a show on TV. It is a perfect set up because I can see him through a window while I run... but he is not really allowed out by the treadmill because it can be dangerous.

Anyway, I was on the treadmill and in the middle of my run, Aaron brought me my phone telling me it had been ringing, so he handed it to me and I put my feet up on either side of the treadmill while the tread was still going so that I could look at my phone. In that few split seconds after he handed me the phone while I was looking at it, I didn't notice that Aaron had gone around behind me and had tried to step up on the treadmill while it was moving...

All of a sudden,  I heard a crash and whipped around to see that the treadmill had taken his foot out from under him and threw him to the end of the treadmill and he was pinned between the end of the treadmill and a cabinet behind it. It was still going and I was frantically trying to push stop as quickly as I could. Until it stopped, the tread was still going and just twisting his little body as he screamed. After I pushed stop, I turned and grabbed him from where he was pinned and lifted him up into my arms so fast... it was as though he was as light as a pillow. My adrenaline was kicking in big time. I just held him and rocked him back and forth as he sobbed. It scared him so much and it scared me to death.

I took him into the kitchen so that I could get some band-aids and get a good look at what had happened to him. I took his shirt off and I was shocked at what his back was looking like.
It was then that he asked through his sobs, "Am I going to die?"
I assured him that he was not going to die. Poor kid.
He had welts and 'road rash' type burns all over his back, his arms, and his leg. Poor kid.

Once I got him all cleaned up and band-aids put on, I guess the shock had worn off, because I finally lost it and I just sobbed while I was cleaning up. I gave Aaron a hug and told him how sorry I was that it happened. I told him that I wish it was me that was hurt and not him. He said no and that he didn't want either of us to be hurt. Sweet kid. I really felt awful about what happened.

I did grab my camera and took some photos so that Aaron could see his owies on his back.

If you look closely, you can see red welts and scrapes all over both arms, his back, and his neck. I was shocked that there were no rips in his shirt.
I could not believe how bad it looked, but...
The miracle in all of this is that it was not worse. I have heard some stories about accidents on treadmills and it could have been so much worse than it was.
Aaron was protected and I am so grateful for that miracle from heaven.

 These wounds were definitely the worst ones on his back.
This lower one is the one that was on his leg.

The photos below were taken 4 to 5 days later.
His owies are healing great and what a blessing that is.


 The morning after it happened, Aaron woke up and was glad to tell me that he was feeling much better. What a great kid I have. He blesses my life every second of every day.
I love him. :)

* * *


Kristi said...

Holy cow. That is awful. Poor kid.
Last time we were at Mom and Dad's I used their treadmill too. Every time one of the kids would come out to check out what I was doing I would yell at them at the top of my lungs, "go back inside! Get out of here!" Most of that was because I was overexerted and couldn't breath, but also, I wanted to scare the kids out of there. They are so curious and don't understand the danger of those machines. Sorry that Aaron found out first hand about the dangers of treadmills. I hope he heals quickly.

Tracie said...

Poor guy, that looks painfu! I am glad he is on the road to recovery.

Tawnie said...

Wow. Scary and sad. So glad he's okay.
Love you both.

Karey said...

This makes me so sad. Poor little guy. He's one tough kid.

So glad that we know the power of faith and that it really can work miracles.

It will be a miracle when we finish this half marathon. I'm not even joking about that.

Anonymous said...

Poor Aaron :( That looks like it hurts! He's got some pretty good war wounds to show off there! I'm so glad he's healing! Thank God for miracles.....big and small :)

Much Love and Prayers,