Monday, February 21, 2011

My Busy Valentine

* * * * * * * * * * * *
I have never been one to think Valentines Day was that special. Of course when I was little, it was so much fun to get Valentine cards and the best ones were the ones with candy stuffed inside of the envelopes. Then as I got older, Valentines Day just reminded me that I was alone (without a romantic interest). Then when I got married, I finally had someone in my life that I was in love with and Valentines Day meant something. But then 6 short Valentines Days later, I was alone again... only to be reminded a million times over on that day.

Well, on Valentines Day, I was on Facebook and my friend Lisa, who is also a widow, had posted this:

'Hoping that everyone has a wonderful valentines day, and realizes that love DOES deserve it's own holiday.' ~ my friend Lisa

After reading her posting, I changed my attitude that day. LOVE is wonderful. Why not celebrate it?

But I am getting ahead of myself here. I have to explain the title of my posting. Aaron Jr is my Valentine this year and he had a busier Valentine weekend than I did.

On Friday before Valentines Day, he was invited to his cousin's birthday party out in Salt Lake. So I drove him out there and didn't want to drive all the way home, then all the way back out there when the party was over... so I thought about inviting a friend to a movie or something. But, then I didn't because I didn't want to take any of my friends away from their husbands on Valentines Day weekend. Plus my friend Lisa was out of town. SO, I made the decision that I could go to a movie by myself for the first time in my life. I hated the thought, but if I went to the dollar theater, it would save me money so I wouldn't spend too much money shopping or something.


So, I went to the Pizza Factory and grabbed a pasta meal and breadsticks to go. (their angel hair alfredo pasta is my fave)... then I put it in my bag and drove to the dollar theater. I bought a single ticket to the movie 'Unstoppable', then walked into the theater. The movie had already started, so it was really dark and I couldn't see where there were seats available. I ALMOST turned around and walked out. Walking down the aisle alone was a little more than I thought I could bear. BUT, I did it. I walked to about the 5th row and sat down by myself. I got out my dinner and ate it. Then sat through the movie alone. I have to admit, it wasn't quite as bad as I always thought it would be... BUT I can say that I don't want to make a habit of it. It was lonely. Every time I wanted to say something to someone about the movie, I couldn't. There was no one there. I got emotional a few times, but I did it!

After the movie, I did check out a sale at REI that Christa had told me about. Then I went back to pick up Aaron Jr. I could tell he had a lot of fun. I am glad he got to go. When I got there, Aaron Jr handed me a bracelet that he had made at the party. He said he made it for me. (it was a girl party) :) Thank you Christa.

This is the bracelet he made for me at the party.
I LOVE IT !!!

The next night, Saturday night, Aaron Jr was invited to a Valentine Party at his Grandpa and Grandma Harkness's house. It was just for the grandkids. I assume to give the parents a chance to go out for Valentines Day. BUT, since I don't need a night away from Aaron Jr for Valentines Day, I had to come up with something to do. So, I came home and cleaned for a bit, then went next door to my brother's house. I hung out with their family for the evening until it was time to pick up Aaron Jr. I am grateful they let me hang out with them.

On Sunday night, after Aaron Jr was asleep, I stayed up really late working on making some hearts to put on his wall so that he would wake up and see the 'heart attack' for Valentines Day. I didn't have any red paper, so I had to use his favorite colors, blue and yellow (which is really funny since when Aaron and I got married, his favorite color was blue and mine was yellow, so we used those colors in a few things at our reception... Aaron Jr doesn't even know that). Then I used cream paper and colored some hearts red. Then put a heart shaped box of York Peppermint Patties and a card at the end of his bed to find that morning. He loves those.


Here is Aaron Jr that morning... SO excited about the decorations and the candy.

That day, we went to my friend Lisa's house to hang out for Valentines Day and evening. We ate dinner together with a couple of other friends while the kids played and had a great time. Before anyone else got there, Lisa and I watched a Hallmark movie called 'The Lost Valentine'. What were we thinking? It was about a lady who lost her husband in the war. We were both sobbing by the end of it. WOW. But it was such a great movie.
Thanks Lisa.

So that was our Valentines weekend festivities. Aaron Jr was my very busy Valentine.

Here's hoping for a very different Valentines weekend for me next year. Please bless.

'Have faith. Sometimes things change. These tears will shine an even greater light on your JOY when it arrives... and it will. It is in you to be happy. I have seen your capacity to recover and to flourish. Let go of self pity and try to seek a little courage.'
~ quote from Lark Rise to Candleford


Aaron and Me. (insert whistle here)
We love and miss you Aaron.

'The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.'
~ Elder Joseph B Wirthlin

Happy Valentines Day everyone!!!

* * *

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I am glad you made it a fun day. Aaron really did have a busy weekend celebrating Valentine's Day.
We went on a family date the Saturday before to celebrate, a little unconventional, but still fun. See you soon!

Tiffany said...

I haven't visited your blog in a while, but I found myself thinking of you last night--a friend of mine's husband passed away yesterday afternoon. I can't imagine the heartache of losing a spouse, yet your faith and your experience continue to inspire me within my own marriage. Thank you.

And on a lighter note-I love the bracelet your son made you. I have one my son made a few years ago. It is quite ugly and has cat beads (I dislike cats!!), yet it is one of my favorite bracelets to wear. And when and if it breaks, I will be devastated. What treasures.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bracelet. I love the hearts you put up - they are so pretty.

And that photo of you and Aaron? Phew! Whistle indeed! Gorgeous!

Jane
xox

Courtney Curt said...

Hi Leslie,
I've commented on your blog before, but it was probably a year ago. My sister died 11 years ago, my mom died 6 years ago. Last night as I was reading my scriptures, I read a verse and I immediately thought of my sister and mom. Immeditely after, I thougth about you. I thought I'd tell you about it. It was Alma chapter 28 verse 12. "While many thousands of others truly mourn for the loss of their kindred, yet they rejoice and exult in the hope, and even know, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are raised to dwell at the right hand of God. In a state of never ending happiness."

Anonymous said...

I must say that is the most beautiful bracelet I have ever seen!!! I know you will wear it with pride.
I am glad you made it thru the movie and can say you had the experience. I know it was not easy.
I think the wall decorations are superb. You did a great job for a very deserving boy!
Hugs,
Rita