Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day

* * * * * *
Labor Day... this wasn't really a holiday that Aaron and I ever went and did anything major, so the only memories we have are the random barbeque with family or things like that.
My sister, Lisa, and her family were going to go on a family bike ride and called to ask if they could borrow our bike trailer. When they came to get it, they asked if three kids could fit in the trailer and asked if we would want to come with them. I took them up on their offer. I knew that the physical activity and fresh air would be good for me.


Here are the three kids in the bike trailer.
Aaron Jr, Angus, Stella. Gus Gus was such a good sport being squished in the middle like that. He didn't seem to mind except the one time Aaron Jr and Stella were fighting over that yellow and orange sippy cup. John said that he completely disappeared between the two of them when they were both pulling on the cup. Poor little Gus.


Elise, Lisa, Hannah, (Aaron Jr, Angus, Stella in the trailer) John, Caroline
I might be wrong about who is Elise and who is Hannah. I still have a hard time telling them apart.


We stopped at the park to let the kids play for a while before heading back home. We all had a great time.


Caroline, John, Stella


Caroline, Hannah, Elise (not necessarily in that order :)


Stella, Leslie, Aaron Jr.


And here is the end of the bike ride. I am pretty sure John is the one who needed a nap after this was all over. The weight of the kids added together was about 85 pounds, plus the weight of the trailer and ALL uphill on the way home... WAY TO GO JOHN!


Here I am with my cute little boy.

Even though this wasn't a big day for us to go anywhere together, just knowing it was a holiday was enough for me to have a difficult day. Knowing that if Aaron WAS here, we would have been doing something as a family even if it was just staying home together... that was hard for me. I didn't even realize I was having a hard day until I started letting things bother me that I am usually more patient about.
I am very grateful to Lisa and John for inviting us to go with them on the bike ride. Thank you so much. It turned a difficult day into a fun day. Aaron Jr. had a blast and I loved getting out. It was just what we needed.

We love you, Aaron...

* * *

10 comments:

Mindy said...

What a fun thing to do! We spent our labor day cleaning the house and canning apricots and tomatoes. I think a bike ride and playing at the park sounds more like it! It was raining here most of the day, though, so that wasn't really an option.

Lisa said...

we're so glad you were able to come with us. it only made it that much more fun for us. love you!

Anonymous said...

Inspirational, your journey. I speak from experience, unfortunately. I can share privately uop1@hotmail.com

Joann said...

I love love love your pictures every time! You and your little guy are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you will open your pure and simple beauty blog to sell your photos. You have a talent for taking photographs and I will someday feel very lucky to have one of your prints! Good Luck and I look forward to my purchase! Thanks for letting me know about the blog. . .

Anonymous said...

Aaron Jnr Looks HUGE in that bike trailer next to Angus!!

Lovely photos Leslie.

Love to you always,

Jane

Jyl said...

I am so glad you got out with friends too, I swear sometimes when I dont want to go anywhere or do anything if I just force myself to do it, it always makes me feel better! Your such a good Mom leslie!

Kristi said...

I still like to check your blog to see your cute haircut. I am a shallow person, I know. I have never known you with short hair, but I love it.
Did you go to that Centerville park on 4th west?
I bet Aaron had so much fun. It looks like a fun, low-key family activity.

Marc and Megan said...

When I first came across your blog, I checked out your photo blog, too... and loved your photos! Especially the lighthouses. I'm really excited to hear that you'll be getting them ready to sell... add me to the list of interested customers!

Leslie, I just want you to know that your life and story have truly touched my life. My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

Andrea said...

Leslie:
Thank you for the sweet comment you left on our blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. What a hard thing to have to go through. My heart just breaks for you.
Andrea
Wyatt's mommy